This year I took some much-needed time off to rest, reassess, reevaluate my goals and make some important decisions about where my business is going and where I am going.
To some people, it did not seem that I had taken time off because I have an incredible team that kept everything running. This is crucially important when building a business, especially if you’re building more than one at the same time.
If you run more than one business, it’s imperative that you take adequate time off for yourself and your sanity. Sometimes the business also needs you OUT of it for a while, as it goes into another direction this can be beneficial for both your clients and your businesses continued long-term success.
Don’t get me wrong, I didn’t stop, but instead slowed down to the pace I was going last year, in order to see ahead more clearly. My mind and body were talking to me about getting some calm and structure that is sustainable in running more than one business. I can safely say it was the best decision I have ever made.
No amount of money, fame or prestige is worth your sanity or your health. It may be that you need to take time to reevaluate your life and business goals. It’s important though that you do it with the support of your coach, mentor, staff, loved ones, peers and collaborators. It’s a team effort to build anything and also a team effort to sustain anything.
HERE ARE 7 TIPS YOU CAN USE TO REEVALUATE OR ASSESS YOUR CURRENT BUSINESS GOALS
1. Are you in love with the outcomes of what you’re still doing or are you just doing it because it’s what pays the bills? If it does not come naturally or it is forced action, then it’s time to reevaluate.
2. Time – How much time is it taking you to do what you did before? Sometimes the length of time you take to complete a task or finish a goal has changed because your heart is no longer in it.
3. Has your fire for learning to get better in all aspects of your business stopped or diminished? This is one sure way to know that you need to reassess and do it now.
4. Are you still growing? Remember there is an old saying ‘If you’re not growing, you’re dying’. This is true on so many levels and I myself have found this to be true for my own life.
5. Can you go away and just rest without thinking all is falling down around you? For so many entrepreneurs this can be a daunting reminder that they have just got a glorified JOB, not a business.
6. Have you set too high a standard, one that you know you cannot keep and to the detriment of your family life, marriage, sanity, business profits, relationships and health?
7. Do you feel that you simply need some time off? Time to yourself, time to just think, time to just read, time to be sure about what you’re meant to do or where you’re meant to go. Time to just LIVE.
It’s not always easy to stop, slow down and reassess but if you really want to be productive and profitable with your health intact, then you must do it. If you don’t, life has a way of doing it for you, believe me, I know!
In moving forward, don’t be apologetic to anyone if you are at a place where you need to stop, slow down, reevaluate or just take a break for a bit. It’s YOUR life, this is not a dress rehearsal, this is it!
Take some time today, this weekend, this month or even this year – you will be so glad you did.
You can learn more by taking my FREE Entrepreneur Assessment here.